Green Frog Umbrella

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Is Reading Block Real?

     Right now I should be writing my review on Allegiant.  I'm not because I got halfway through the book and just couldn't read anymore.  I had a hard time getting that far actually.  I joked yesterday that I had "reader's block."  But then I was thinking, this isn't the first new book that this has happened to me with.  I had the same thing happen with the new Lux book Origin.  Except with that book I couldn't get through the first few pages.  I still haven't read it.  I recently reviewed Alice in Zombieland, that took me almost a year from the time I got the book until I read it!  I can understand having kindle freebies collecting dust in my iPad but new books from a series or author that I love?  It's very frustrating!

     I googled reader's block and it brought up a whole long list of results... mostly people complaining that they have it.  What makes no sense to me is that most people seem to just not be able to read any book period.  For me it seems to be only new books.  Is it the anticipation that creates the block?  It seems like perhaps I am so afraid that I will hate the book after I have looked forward to it and spent money on it that I just can't get through it.  I think after this debacle with Allegiant that I will stop pre-ordering new books!  If I can't get myself to read them until the hype is over than it's not worth it.  Now, if it was an Argeneau or Love at Stake or even a list of other books I'm sure I could have read it.  I just don't understand my own mind.

     The number of new books that I have been unable to read until months later seems to be growing.  If there is a ray of sunshine to every cloudy day (even if I am Rainy Dayz hehe) I'd like to find my ray of sunshine here.  Perhaps I'm better off exploring new authors and expanding the genres that I read.  I keep beating myself up over not reading these books, and it's not helping anything.  Luckily I'll have some motivation for that since I'm participating in the clean your e-reader challenge next month.  I've already started working on my list of books.  That should keep me busy for November.  For December I'm thinking of doing nothing but Christmasy type books... we'll see how that goes.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widgets