Green Frog Umbrella

Monday, November 11, 2013

Come Home to Me ★★★★★ | #COYER Book Review



Author: Peggy L. Henderson
Genre: Time Travel Romance
Source: Kindle Freebie
252 pages


Jake Owens is tired of life on his parents’ Montana ranch, catering to city folk who want a taste of old-fashioned country living. He enjoys life in the fast lane, with fast cars and even faster women. When he falls in with the wrong crowd and is accused of murder, a stranger’s bizarre offer at a second chance might be his only hope to clear his name.

Rachel Parker is highly devoted to her family. A tragedy prompts a daring move to the Oregon Territory for a fresh start in a new land. After meeting the wagon train’s scout, the meaning of a fresh start may be more than she ever imagined. 

Jake can’t believe he’s been sent back in time to act as scout for a wagon train headed for Oregon, and given the added burden of keeping one emigrant woman safe during the journey. He and Rachel are confused by their attraction to each other. Jake’s ill-mannered, unconventional ways are overshadowed only by his notorious reputation. Rachel’s traditional values and quiet, responsible character are the complete opposite of what attracts Jake to a woman. When their forbidden attraction turns to love, what will happen at the end of the trail?



     I was looking for something different to read and since I'm doing the clean out your e-reader challenge I went through my kindle freebies and found this little gem.  I absolutely loved this book.  I'm actually very disappointed that the next book in the Second Chances series Ain't No Angel isn't out yet.  According to the author Peggy L. Henderson the book should be coming out this month!  For those of you who follow my reviews my reaction to this book may come as a surprise.  For over 2 years now I've read mostly paranormal romance.  I think I'll have to look for more time travel romance because this was really neat.  

     Come Home to Me starts off in present day with Jake in jail for murder.  His new lawyer offers him a second chance if he scouts for a wagon train on the Oregon trail.  Little does Jake know that agreeing to this sends him 150+ years into the past!  This is where he meets Rachel.  Rachel is traveling with her family and finds herself attracted to Jake from the start.  But she has a lot in the way... like a husband and 3 kids.  There are a lot of surprises along the way in the 5 months that Jake leads the emigrants to Oregon City.  I found the whole story captivating.  I loved Jake and Rachel.  I cheered for them and cried for them.  

     Although this isn't my regular genre it has opened up a whole new genre to me and I look forward to the next book in the Second Chances series.  This is a romance like no other I have read.  I'm not sure how many other books there are out there like this but I think Peggy L. Henderson did a wonderful job capturing what life was like on the Oregon Trail.  It makes me glad for modern conveniences while longing for a simpler way of life.  

Favorite Quote:

"A man doesn't look at a woman the way he looks at you with the intention of walking away."


4 comments:

  1. I love time travel books - I've kind of started grouping them in with fantasy since they involve some sort of magic/sci-fi. This one sounds good - though I wonder about the fact that Rachel is married... is her husband a jerk? I'm not a fan of infidelity - it really has to be written just right for me to get into it. Outlander is an amazing time travel romance - if you haven't read it yet I seriously recommend. It will blow you away. Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Berls don't worry about the "married" part. It's really complicated but once you figure it all out you'll be like omg! I'll look into Outlander, thanks for the rec since I'm new to this genre.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Berls! I'm a huge fan of time travel books, I need to add this to my TBR list right now. And I'm not supposed to do that, you know, Lacie ;) Great review, and if you want even more time travel books, I can recommend some as well, but not off the top of my head - since Berls has already told you about Outlander.
    Have a great week!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I've added more books than I've read. I'll take any recs you can think of since it's a new genre to me.

      Delete

Blogger Widgets