Green Frog Umbrella

Monday, December 9, 2013

A Cowboy for Christmas ★★★★☆


Author: Lori Wilde
Genre: Contemporary Romance
384 pages

It's Christmastime in Jubilee, Texas, but Lissette Moncrief is having a hard time celebrating . . .

Especially after she accidentally smashes her car into Rafferty Jones's pick-up truck. Yes, he's a whole lot of handsome—from the tips of his boots to the top of his Stetson. But he's no Christmas present. Lissy's not about to let herself get whisked away by his charming ways and words . . . only to watch him drive away in the end.

But what Lissy doesn't know is Rafferty's in town just to meet her—and to give her a share in a windfall that doesn't rightly belong to him. At first, he just wants to do his good deed and get out. But one look at this green-eyed beauty has him deciding to turn this into a Christmas to remember . . . making promises he's determined to keep—whether she believes in them or not.



     It seems to be a theme in the books that I'm reading lately to have widows from war or soldiers getting out of the service.  In A Cowboy for Christmas Lissy is a widow with a 2 year old son.  At the very beginning Lissy has just found out that her son is going deaf.  She has a breakdown in the grocery store and gets into a fender bender with Rafferty.  I thought the way that Lori Wilde brought Lissy and Rafferty together was pretty cool.  There were several surprises that I didn't expect in this book.

     I really liked Lissy and Rafferty.  I liked Rafferty the most.  He's just such a great guy.  I'd have to say that my favorite part of the book was the ending so of course I can't tell anyone about that!  This is a real feel good, overcoming the odds type of book.  It was nice to read a book where the woman starts out kind of like the damsel in distress but she sort of saves herself along the way.  I found the parts with her son really touching but found the meddling family annoying.  I wanted to yell at them myself.  

     Jubilee, Texas is another one of those towns I wish I lived in.  It was just a really cool community.  This is book 3 of the Jubilee series.  I look forward to catching up and reading books one and two.  Especially since the characters from those books were in this one and seemed pretty cool too.  Altogether it was a great book and I really enjoyed it.  I don't have any favorite quotes since I listened to this on audio and I was so into the book I forgot to take the time to write stuff down.  The quotes that I would have put were from the old lady in the grocery store so when you read it pay heed to her words of wisdom.

2 comments:

  1. Waaa, Should I jump into the bandwagon and start reading Christmas related books? I can feel the Yuletide season in the air. Hahaha. To be honest, I've just started renting DVD Christmas movies. I am more in the mood of watching than reading Christmas books.

    It's good to know that you really enjoyed this one. Thankfully, did a really good job with the characters and the setting.

    Thanks for stopping by Thoughts and Pens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I always watch lots of Christmasy movies this time of year too but I'm loving reading the books even more. I'm still watching the occasional movie too. :)

      Delete

Blogger Widgets