Green Frog Umbrella

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 Reading Challenges



I'm planning to read 50+ books for this challenge in 2014

1-10 - A Firm Handshake
11-20 - A Friendly Hug
21-30 - First Kiss
31-40 - Sweet Summer Fling
41-50 - Could this be love?
50+ - Married With Children

At first I was going to go with a smaller goal and work my way up but I figure I read over 200 books in 2013 I'm sure that I can manage to make it past that in 2014 and most will be older... 

According to my Goodreads "My Books" page I have 352 books in my to-read category.  Now, that may not sound like a lot to some of you but what you have to understand is when there is a series I only put the next book in the series in my to-read list.  Because, what if I hated book 4 and decided not to read book 5-8 of a series?  So keep that in mind while I do this challenge.  

There were several new books published in 2013 that I have not read yet.  I've become leary of reading a book I'm really looking forward to right away because I tend to set myself up for disappointment.  For example Allegiant.  If I had only waited and read reviews I could have saved myself that pain.  So, in addition to weedling down my ever growing to-be-read pile I would also like to read some of those 2013 new releases that I put off.

In addition to new releases I discovered many new authors this year that I'm dying to read.  Some of them I may not have added the books to my Goodreads to-read list yet.  But they are in my to-read list in my head!  During my experiment with reading Christmas books for 2 weeks this year I discovered some excellent new authors in the contemporary romance genre which I haven't read much of and am looking forward to exploring. 




I'm planning to read 25 books for this challenge in 2014
Aluminum – 5 books
Bronze – 10 books
Silver – 25 books
Gold – 50 books
Platinum – 75 books
Diamond– 100 books

Last I checked my NetGalley percentage was exactly 80%.  That was before a bunch of books that I had requested months ago got approved.  Now I have all this catching up to do!  The other day I was bored and requested a bunch more books so if I get approved for those I'm in big trouble.  The idea of posting which books that I read each month sounds great.    As far as Edelweiss goes I have been planning to sign up but have been to busy to do so.  I spent like an hour reading about how to sign up and request books but that's as far as I've gotten.  So my Edelweiss part of the 2014 goal is to sign up and request a few books.  I'll get back to ya on the rest. 


I signed up for both the vampire and shifter challenges on:

Both challenges are to read 10+ books... vampires and shifters.  Which are my favorite types of books so I will have no problem hitting that goal at all.









Here are the Categories 

Classics are the new black – read a classic novel
It’s a serial thing – you’ve read the first in a series (or even three of them), it’s time to read another!
Lost in translation – time to read a book that was first written in another language and then translated.
It’s about time! – read a book that has been sitting on your shelf for at least two years! (and haven’t read it yet!)
By the numbers – read a book with a Number in the title
Weird Science! – read a book that features some form of science – and maybe discover an untapped passion.
I just love a good Duet – a book written by more than one author.
New Guy in Town – read a Debut book written by a new author.
Almost Human – read a book from the perspective of an animal – or an alien – or a robot! (at least feature an ‘almost human’)
Chunkster-time! – read a book that is longer 500 pages. (Time to dust off War and Peace)
Random Rescue – go to a used book store and RANDOMLY pick a book! (could even be from a grab-bag)
Under-Aged Writer – read a book by an author who is not yet 21. Here's a little help.
Time for exercise – read a book that is set in or around a sport or exercise activity (like yoga or baseball). This can be fiction or nonfiction!
Make-Believe - This category is just for YOU! (and anyone who wants to try it!) Here is your chance to let others know what would get you outside of your Comfort Zone!


Here are the levels
I plan to read 8-10 books for this challenge.


I’m a little Scared: 3-4 categories
It’s not so bad out here!: 5-7 categories
Look at me, outside my comfort zone!: 8-10 categories
Outside In!: 11-13 categories
No Box can Contain Me!: I did ALL 14!



I thought about posting lists of books that I will read for the challenges but I have decided to wait on that. I may add to this post with more details but I'm afraid I'll end up changing my mind as I always seem to do every time that I pick certain books to read within a time-line. So, that's it for now! I'll be tagging all of my TBR Pile Reading Challenge books so everyone can keep up with my progress. Have a great new year ya'll!
























6 comments:

  1. I really need to look into that TBR challenge. My shelf is out of control! Good luck with all your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It sounds like fun. Any motivation to narrow it down is a plus.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I should sign up for the TBR challenge and the Netgalley/Edelweiss challenge, too. I had gotten up to 73% on Netgalley, and I suddenly got approved for several books I had thought were kind of lost to me - and it was all at the same time.

    I also went through my kindle today, and there are so many books on it that I haven't read yet, it's almost scaring me! Lots and lots are free books, some are ARCs, and several are books I had pre-ordered, and then almost forgot about.

    Good luck with your challenges Lacie :) Way to go!

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should sign up for them. I'm really looking forward to doing some yearly challenges in addition to my usual monthlies on Goodreads.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you will have some cool reading for 2014! Thanks for joining my challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widgets