Green Frog Umbrella

Saturday, January 18, 2014

My Decision on Goodreads vs BookLikes

After months of comparing Goodreads to BookLikes I have decided to stick with Goodreads.  For one thing copying everything to both is a chore.  I post my reviews on my blog, then Goodreads, then BookLikes and sometimes even Amazon.  It's a real pain.  So I stopped posting to BookLikes sometime in December.  I'm not sure when but I realized I had stopped posting there.  Also, I already have a blog so the blog format of BookLikes isn't really needed.  I know they are still working on their site but there are things that they don't have that I wish they did.  I don't like the format of the groups.  I love the way the Goodreads groups are set up.

So after giving it several months trial and using both I have decided to drop BookLikes.  I don't like how you can't really assign the format of a book without a real pain in the butt.  I don't like how the reviews aren't easy to find.  Truthfully I'm just not happy with much of anything.  What I do like is how I can read people's posts.  BUT this is very similar to Bloglovin' on my iPad so I'll use that and concentrate on Goodreads and blogs.  I know this post is random and not very organized but those are my thoughts and my decision.  If you have any thoughts on my decision please leave a comment.

9 comments:

  1. Have never tried Booklikes before but I know a lot of people who use it. Honestly, I just find it all confusing so I'm just gonna stick to my own blog and Goodreads.

    Kimi of Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is confusing using all 3. Mabye if you only had one. Thanks for stopping by Kimi.

      Delete
  2. I am huge fan of booklikes. I think it is a great way to categorize books if you have not started categorizing your books yet.

    However, like you it tried Boolikes for a few months and found it a chore. I already have Goodreads and I have it all sorted in to shelves and I have all of my groups. Copying that to Booklikes would be too much of a drag! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did categorize all of my books. I spent more time on BookLikes than I did on Goodreads during my comparison. I had planned to keep up with both due to the things I like about BookLikes but as you said it is quite a chore.

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of Booklikes either but I love goodreads so I that's probably why. Glad you posted this so I would be tempted to try if I did hear about it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of but never user Booklikes. I've always been tempted to take a look at it but have never had the time to. I don't like that Amazon owns Goodreads so I'm still in the market for something new to use.

    Maybe if Booklikes becomes simpler it'll be better for all of us! :)

    - Farhana @ Digesting the Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, given the time from the developers, BookLikes could be better than Goodreads in some ways. That said... Goodreads, despite being owned by Amazon, is mainly run by the users.

      Delete
  5. I know a lot of people have issues with Goodreads but I love it. I honestly can't live without it. I am 100% with you on BookLikes, I don't want another blog, it's hard enough to keep up with that I don't want double work, I know a lot of people use it but I think I'll stick with Goodreads maybe if Booklikes is more user friendly I'll go back but I doubt it :)

    Michelle
    Because reading is better than real life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't checked out BookLikes, Lacie. But I'm glad to know you gave both a shot and decided to stick with GR. Thanks for sharing this info. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widgets