Green Frog Umbrella

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Carniepunk Anthology ★★★☆☆

CarniepunkCarniepunk by Rachel Caine
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The thing I love about anthologies is discovering new authors. I found a couple good ones. I got this audiobook for the Iron Druid story. There were a couple by authors I am familiar with too. My suggestion: get it at the library... the book, not the audio. Read the stories you are interested in and take it back. I listened to a story or two a day and it took almost 2 weeks. It was a nice diversion and it was worth it because I did like the Blud book that I read because of this one. I'm not sure that I'd get another audio version of an anthology though since I could not skip ahead if I was bored with the story.


Rob Thurman “Painted Love"- It was just rambling and boring. The language was terrible. The concept of Doodle would have been interesting in a different story. 1 star

Delilah S. Dawson "A Blud Shortstory"- Charlie Dreggs was cool. I liked Lydia. I haven't read any Blud books yet but fully intend to now. I hope the series is as good as this short story. It had a good narrator too, I loved Charlie's voice. I was very dissapointed with the ending. 3 stars

Kevin Hearne “The Demon Barker of Wheat Street”- This is the story I got the anthology for. Despite the narrator getting Oberon's voice wrong I still enjoyed the story. I did find it a bit gruesome though. 4 stars

Mark Henry "The Sweeter the Juice"- Wow umm this is so weird. Confusing as hell and lots of gore. It was funny for the most part when it wasn't grossing me out. 2 stars

Jaye Wells "The Werewife"- Pretty entertaining. I especially liked the ending. 4 stars

Allison Pang "A Duet with Darkness"- Imagine the song The Devil Went Down to Georgia... but with violins at a carnival. Umm yea. This story was very confusing. Then once it started getting good it just ended! 1 star

Hillary Jacques "Recession of the Divine"- This one was ok, nothing exciting really. It had a pretty good ending but nothing very exciting. 3 stars

Jennifer Estep "Parlor tricks"- Woopsie! I guess this is farther ahead than the books I have read in the Elemental Assassin series. So I found out some stuff that happens in books I haven't read but I expected it to happen sooner or later so it's no big surprise. The story was ok, not as funny as Gin usually is. 3 stars

Kelly Meding "Freak House"- I really liked this story. The world building was done fairly quickly without any of the rambling that is in some of the other stories. I was ready to find the series but according to the author's website: "STRAYS is a new world for my readers... Stay tuned for word on when these new books will be coming your way." Until then she has some other series that sound pretty good. 4 stars

Nicole Peeler "The Inside Man"- This one is from the Jane True series, which I've never heard of but will be looking into after this story. If you weren't afraid of clowns before, you will be after this one. Some sexual parts may be upsetting to some people, just fyi. (rape memories) 4 stars

Jackie Kessler "A Chance in Hell"- Aaand I mentioned sexual stuff, wow does this one start up very sexual! Well, she's and ex-succubus so I guess that's expected. This story was boring as hell though and I just waited it out until it was over. 2 stars

Kelly Gay "Hell's Menagerie"- This story is about a little girl that has to save her pet hellhound's puppies from hell. This is also a very boring story. 1 star

Seanan McGuire "Daughter of the Midway, the Mermaid, and the Open, Lonely Sea"- This was slightly more interesting than the last 2 stories but still not worth the time it took to listen to it. 2 stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widgets