Green Frog Umbrella

Friday, October 18, 2013

The Sea of Tranquility ★★★★★


Author: Katja Millay

     I really have no idea where to start with the review for this book.  I suppose the best way to start is to say I absolutely loved it.  This book was recommended to me by my friend Melissa.  It is one of our current reads for Melissa's Book Club.  I am so glad that she picked this book!  I'm more of a paranormal junkie so this is not a book that I would have picked up to read myself.  I've decided that I need to broaden my horizons and after the awesome reviews for this book I decided it would be perfect.

     The book is about Nastya.  She was a victim of random violence that resulted in her being so traumatized that after remembering what happened to her she no longer speaks.  Her injuries include the mutilation of her hand.  This results in her no longer being able to play piano which is a big deal because she was a piano prodigy.  She is not your typical teenager throwing acting out.  I found myself totally entranced with her.  I felt her pain so thoughly that this book had me crying quite a bit.

     Other characters in this book are Josh and Drew.  Josh has recently been emancipated and lives alone.  All of his family has died one by one since he was eight leaving him now alone.  When Nastya shows up in his garage one night he doesn't know what to think.  She continues showing up and they build a friendship that buds into one of the best and most realistic romances I've ever read.  Drew is Josh's best friend and builds a friendship with Nastya as well.  He is tired of his player persona and uses Nastya to keep girls away.

     I can't say enough about how much I loved this book.  It made me feel so much joy and sorrow.  When I finished reading it I felt wrung out.  Lately as soon as I finish a book I'm on to the next.  This book affected me so much I just sat and stared into space after finishing it.  Wow what a read!  Katja Millay is an author to watch that's for sure.  I'm so glad I took a chance on reading something out of my normal genres.  I will have a hard time picking favorite quotes from this book that's for sure!

Favorite Quotes:

"I have one of Josh Bennett's secrets now.  He gave it to me.  I wish I could give it back."

"I couldn't really be so self-destructive as to fall in love with any girl, much less a girl who is cracked in a thousand places and who will leave me as soon as she's put back together again.  But I guess the ability to think rationally has left me because I don't deny it at all."

2 comments:

  1. Wow - this book sounds really great. I'm a bit of a paranormal junkie like you, but I've been really broadening my interests lately too. This one is on my list, thanks for the great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good that every time that I think of it I wish it wasn't over. With all of the paranormal stuff there's usually a series and I know there'll most likely be another book. With a book like this there's just the one and it's so hard when it's over. (I sound so overly dramatic)

      Delete

Blogger Widgets