Green Frog Umbrella

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Is Grammar Dead?

     Everyone who knows me knows that I read a lot.  I have to admit lately I have gotten more and more picky about the grammar and punctuation in books.  In a way audiobooks are more relaxing because I can just listen.  Although if they pronounce something wrong I am just as bad.  For example some of the Dark Hunter  narrators pronounced Acheron incorrectly.  As I am reading I will rant and rave to my poor unsuspecting family.  I have gone as far as underlining all of the problems I find in books.  I have to force myself to step back and ignore it all in order to enjoy a book.


     What I wonder about is whether I should factor in the grammar and punctuation when reviewing a book.  Now, keep in mind when a book is an ARC I have just sent a personal note to the author about it and not mentioned it in the review.  It doesn't make sense if I am reading an unedited copy.  What I don't understand is how things can slip by repeatedly in a book?  For example using passed instead of past?  There are 3 ways of saying to, two and too.  I might not be great at punctuation and I'll be the first to admit that... but are they not teaching grammar anymore?  My kids assure me that they are.


     So please tell me your thoughts.  Should a review of an already edited copy include critiques of grammar or punctuation?  Or should we attempt to ignore it?  Does this bother anyone else as much as it bothers me? Please tell me I'm not the only one!

~Lacie
Rainy Dayz Reviewz
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. It bothers me too! I can overlook a few problems - I think even when we know the difference really well we all occasionally mistype two/to/too or their/there/they're. It's when it's everywhere that I have a problem. It makes me feel like no one bothered to edit the book. To date, I haven't mentioned it in reviews, but I've seriously considered it. But it does impact my rating - if it distracted me, there is no way it's getting a 5 star review. Sorry! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I'm not the only one! Thanks for sharing Berls. My family is sick of hearing it. At times I do feel bad... if the author does pay attention to reviews... they have no clue why I knocked that star off. Oh well.

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah! I totally have issues with grammar in books when I read them. I try to give them a little leeway because it does state it's unedited. However, if the grammar is atrocious then it definitely affects my rating even though I may not mention it in the review. The way I see it is if you're going to write novels you should at least know your way around basic errors... Love your gifs by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widgets