Green Frog Umbrella

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Wicked as They Come (Blud #1) ★★★★☆

Wicked as They Come (Blud, #1)Wicked as They Come by Delilah S. Dawson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Tish says it perfectly: "Amazing, the weird mix of technology and anachronism in this world." I love steampunk so I found the clockwork pets and all the doodads in Sang enchanting. I'm also big on authors that do vampires different from the norm. Well, in Sang vamps are very different. They're actually considered bludmen. But it doesn't stop there! There's also bludbunnies, bludmares, bludstags, ect. I could go on and on about how much I loved Sang. But I'll let you decide for yourself instead of giving everything away.

If you read the Carniepunk anthology you are at least familiar with Criminy and the traveling sideshow. He does actually mention the locket in that short story "The Three Lives of Lydia." Charlie Dreggs is in this book but his short love affair with Lydia is not mentioned in the book.

The story is about Tish and Criminy. Tish finds a locket at an estate sale, wears the locket to bed and wakes up in Sang. Criminy claims to have called her from her world and is in love with her from the get go. Although I loved the world I found the relationship between them a bit taxing. Will she or won't she? What will she do? Meanwhile Criminy falls all over her constantly. I loved Criminy and highlighted a lot of his lines in the book. While I understand Tish's issues love is not easy to come by and when someone like Criminy falls at your feet you go for it! But alas, it all ends well I suppose. There were some surprises I didn't expect near the end.

I thought it ended the way it did to leave room for a second book with Tish and yet when I looked it is actually Casper's book. That's an awesome surprise! There are also a couple short stories that I will definitely read. If you like steampunk, vampires, or stories where the herione is whisked off to another world you'll love Blud.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widgets