Green Frog Umbrella

Friday, October 18, 2013

Stormwalker (Stormwalker #1) ★★★☆☆


Author: Allyson James
Rating: ★★★☆☆

    I've had this book on audio for quite awhile and just never listened to it.  I went through a stage where I only listened to books.  Lately I've been in a stage where I only listen while doing something else, like cleaning the house.  This book was narrated by Hillary Huber.  At the start of the book I was very distracted by the fact that I've listened to other books narrated by her.  She is an excellent narrator but I just couldn't get over trying to place the voices with characters I'm already familiar with.  After looking at the books she's narrated I understand why I had such a hard time.  She's narrated the Midnight Breed series which I got about half on audio and the Lords of Deliverance which I've gotten all on audio.  Kinda hard to place voices with characters when it's actually 10+ books!  Well done Hillary Huber, lol.

     This book is about Janet Begay.  She is a half-navajo stormwalker.  Which basically means she gets her earth powers from storms mainly lightning.  It features some shape shifters including the god Coyote.  If you've read the Iron Druid Chronicles book Tricked than you are very familiar with Coyote.  I was excited while reading this book to see the simularities between the two books as far as mythology goes.  For example skin walkers.  What makes this book different is the use of the gods below.  Namely Janet's goddess mother.  The book also features Mick Janet's ex-lover who shows back up in her life exactly when she needs him.  Other characters are Nash the sheriff and Maya the electrician.  I didn't like either and found them very annoying.

     I'm not sure exactly why I had a hard time getting into this book.  Whether it was due to my distraction from the narration or my dislike of some characters it seemed to take forever to finish.  I love books like this that use mythology so I would have thought I'd be into it.  I had mixed feelings about Mick.  I sorta liked Janet.  Despite the cool storyline I just felt like the book dragged.  I only listened while doing something else and stopped as soon as I was done.  I'm not sure if I will listen to any other books in this series.  I'll have to check out the reviews before I decide.

     If you like shifters, mythology and supernatural powers you might like this book.  It has dragon, coyote and (I think) cougar shifters.  The mythology is American Indian.  The supernatural powers are earth such as lightning/fire and "below" powers like directing skin walkers.

Favorite quote:
“Why are you still so damned protective of me?:
“You have to ask?”
“I do.”
Mick came closer still, until his face hung an inch from mine. “If you have to ask, then you wouldn’t believe my answer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widgets