Green Frog Umbrella

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Dream Student (Dreams #1) ★★★★☆


Author: J.J. DiBenedetto

     I can sum my first thoughts on this book up in one word: unfortunate.  Why?  Because it is unfortunate that this book has such a goofy cover and it's unfortunate that it has such a boring name.  Even the series name is unfortunate: Dreams.  I was thinking mabye "dreamwalker" would be better, lol.  I am positive with a new cover and name this series would be much more popular.  The premise is interesting.  Sarah keeps finding herself in other peoples dreams.  She meets a guy at a club that she happened to see a dream that he had of her.  She dreams about a serial killer and has nightmares every night.  The dates at the beginning of each chapter are annoying.  The book spans from 1989-1990.  I thought it was a goal to make a book timeless?  If I was in a bookstore and flipped through a book with old dates on it I wouldn't buy it thinking it was old, but this is not so it's confusing.  I feel it's a shame because I really loved the book.

     I recieved the audio version of this book for review.  It was narrated by Heather Jane Hogan.  I don't think that I have listened to anything narrated by her before.  She had such a soft spoken sweet sounding voice that she put me to sleep 2 nights in a row!  I'm not complaining, that's great news for an insomniac, hehe.  She did a great job with the different voices and I'd listen to other books narrated by her again.

     I like Sarah and I like her roommate Beth.  They're both very believable characters.  The romance with Brian was excellent.  He's a total sweetheart and for once I believe in love at first sight.  As far as the dreams and serial killer part goes I found it really interesting and it made me think of like the Criminal Minds show.  I was shocked to learn from the author that he didn't do any research on serial killers or criminal profiling for this book.  I really thought he had.  I found some of the dreams absolutely hilarious.  The Sean Connery dream is the best!  I'm curious to see what happens in the next book and how much time has gone by.  Especially after that ending!  Luckily I'll be reviewing that book too!  I'm rubbing my hands together in anticipation.


Favorite Quotes:

"He looked at me like I was the only woman in the world worth looking at."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widgets